Home
Price
DJ
MC
Photo Gallery
About
Testimonials
FAQ
Contact
Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

How Do You Fill A Gaping Void? IGNORE EVERYBODY!

I am the first to admit I am sucker for buying the latest books. The only problem is most of them collect in my bookcase and I'm lucky to get past the preface or maybe a chapter or two.

But last week my good friend, Mark Ferrell, whose workshops have lately been the hot topic all over Stacie Tamaki's Flirty Guide Blog gave me the heads up about a new book called "IGNORE EVERYBODY And 39 Other Keys to Creativity" by Hugh MacLeod. I am also the first to judge a book by its title so grabbing this one was an absolute no-brainer for me.

Last night I started reading it at 10:30 after thirty minutes of the Ten O'Clock News was all I could handle. Normally, at this hour I would get through a few pages and hit the pillow. My wife was falling asleep but I simply could not stop reading. So I quietly slipped into our closet with my book light and finished all of the Top 40 keys at around midnight.

Needless to say Hugh had me from the liner notes. I can't really say enough great things about this little book so I am not even going to attempt a book review. The best way to meet Hugh MacLeod is right on his blog called gapingvoid.

Hugh is a cartoonist and a lot more. He draws cartoons on the back of business cards. Sounds simple enough. Too simple? Yes, his approach to creativity is direct, humorous and at times even overly poignant. Whether you are a copywriter, artist, designer, photographer, painter, art director, tech writer or anyone else pursuing a creative endeavour this little book is a MUST read. Actually, it is full of big and little life lessons for just about anyone whose career needs a jump start.

Thanks Hugh. I am off to bed right now to spin it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment